|Workplace||Flemish Region, Ghent, Belgium|
Job vacancy: Fulltime ERC Postdoctoral Researcher (2 years) at Ghent University (Belgium)
The ERC-funded research group Novel Saints. Studies in Ancient Fiction and Hagiography (https://www.?url=novelsaints.ugent.be&module=jobs&id=2684" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">novelsaints.ugent.be) of the Department of Literary Studies at Ghent University (Belgium) is seeking a specialist in hagiography to work as a Database Coordinator. The Principal Investigator is Prof Dr Koen De Temmerman.
The successful applicant will start employment on 1st January 2020 at the earliest. In order to be eligible, candidates must have obtained their PhD degree at the time of application or demonstrate convincingly that they will have that degree in hand by the start of their employment. Applicants should have a PhD degree on the subject of late antique and/or medieval Christian hagiography (or a related field) in one or more of the following languages: Arabic, Armenian, Coptic, Ethiopic, Georgian, Greek, Latin, Slavonic and/or Syriac. Applicants whose expertise is in one or more of the oriental languages in that list are particularly encouraged to apply. Good IT-skills are required.
The database charts thematically-selected hagiographical narratives in a variety of late antique and medieval languages. The research assistant will contribute new entries to the database, identify areas for further development, coordinate the progress of the database, work with other contributors (both external and internal) and liaise with the publisher about the print version of the database. He/she will also actively participate with the PI and/or other team members in publications.
For this position, we offer:
1. a contract for one year of full-time employment as a postdoctoral researcher, followed by a renewal for another year upon positive evaluation (a longer contract with a lower percentage of employment can be negotiated);
2. an internationally competitive salary that depends on seniority and corresponds to the salary scales for postdoctoral researchers as established by the Flemish government;
3. office space in the University and a solid and engaging academic working environment with a strong international profile. The successful candidate will be able to interact with scholars and students affiliated with various departments and research institutes at Ghent University, such as the Department of Literary Studies (https://www.?url=letterkunde.ugent.be%2F&module=jobs&id=2684" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">letterkunde.ugent.be/), the Department of History (?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ugent.be%2Flw%2Fgeschiedenis%2Fen&module=jobs&id=2684" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.ugent.be/lw/geschiedenis/en), the Department of Oriental Studies (http://www.?url=neareast.ugent.be%2F&module=jobs&id=2684" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">neareast.ugent.be/), the Ghent Institute for Classical Studies (http://www.?url=giks.ugent.be&module=jobs&id=2684" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">giks.ugent.be), the Henri Pirenne Institute for Medieval Studies (http://www.?url=pirenne.ugent.be&module=jobs&id=2684" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">pirenne.ugent.be), the Ghent Centre for the Study of Christian Traditions (http://www.?url=csct.ugent.be&module=jobs&id=2684" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">csct.ugent.be), and the Group of Early Modern Studies (?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgemsugent.wordpress.com&module=jobs&id=2684" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">https://gemsugent.wordpress.com).
Profile of the candidate
For this position, we expect that the successful applicant
1. will contribute to the strong research tradition of the Department and the University by coordinating an online database according to the latest research findings; 2. will come and live in Belgium, work closely together with the other team members and the project’s international advisory board, and contribute to a pleasant and stimulating atmosphere;
3. will contribute to the scholarly activities of the research group (e.g. by organizing events in collaboration with the Principal Investigator and/or other members of the team, etc.).
How to apply
How to apply?
(a) Applications should include
1. a cover letter highlighting why the applicant is interested in this position and what added value they expect to bring;
2. a full curriculum vitae (including accurate information both on the applicant’s command of the relevant languages and on grades and study results, e.g. official results lists if available);
3. a writing sample of ca. 40 pages of published (or forthcoming) work that in the applicant’s view is particularly good or relevant to the position.
Applications should be sent by email to the Research Coordinator, Dr Evelien Bracke (evelien.bracke [at] ugent[.]be).
(b) In addition, we kindly ask candidates to arrange for two letters of reference to be sent directly to evelien.bracke [at] ugent[.]be by the referees.
Deadline: applications should arrive no later than December 30, 2019. Please address any queries to the Principal Investigator (koen.detemmerman [at] ugent[.]be).
Ghent is an attractive medieval town, with a strong economic base and lively cultural scene. Just 30 minutes by train from Brussels, two hours from Paris and Amsterdam and two and a half hours from London, it is ideally situated at the heart of European intellectual life.
In your application, please refer to myScience.be and reference JobID 2684.
Last job offers
- Health - 9.12
PhD position, Design, Synthesis and Evaluation of Novel Autophagy Inducers
- Health - 9.12
Assistent-projectverantwoordelijke grote projecten - (ingenieur) architect
- Computer Science/Telecom - 9.12
PhD Position on Integrated identification and control for mechatronic systems
- Computer Science/Telecom - 8.12
PhD in Philosophy and/or Computer Science (interdisciplinary Project Bitshare)
- Life Sciences - 6.12
- Life Sciences - 4.12
Technologist, Small animal MRImaging
- Life Sciences - 4.12
PhD position, in-vivo neuro-MRI in animal models for multiple sclerosis
- Law - 4.12
Doctorale of postdoctorale onderzoeker in het gezondheidsrecht omtrent de impact van Big Data op besluitvorming in de gezondheidszorg
- Environment - 2.12
PhD Candidateship in Site Specific Fertilisation
- Life Sciences - 2.12
Postdoc position in neurophysiology