Assistant professor/ associate professor/ professor/ full professor design and adaptive reuse
On this page you will find vacancies for Academic Staff. Only vacancies in English are shown. For a complete list of all vacancies currently open at the university, please consult the vacancy pages in Dutch .
Didn’t find what you were looking for? Save your search and create a job alert on the online application module to be automatically notified of interesting future job openings.More information can be found here .
Department: Interior Architecture
Regime Full-time Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Faculty of Design Sciences - Interior Architecture programme - has the following full-time vacancy: Senior academic staff 'interior design and adaptive reuse'
. The purpose of this vacancy is to develop and embed research and education within the domain located at the intersection of adaptation, heritage and interior design. The position includes, on the one hand, the coordination of the design studios of the bachelor's programme, the preparatory and bridging programme and, on the other hand, the further development and strengthening of a master's studio on heritage design and reuse. The research focus lays in the same domain. It addresses both the issues of material reuse, sustainability and collective memory, identity and living together in combination with ideas on tradition, history and culture. Position
You will contribute to the University of Antwerp’s three core tasks: education (40%), research (40%) and services (20%). Your role also includes organisational and managerial aspects. Education
- You will provide high-quality education in the field of ‘interior design and adaptive reuse', with a strong focus on the social, cultural and historical heritage value of buildings.
- Your teaching assignment evolves in function of the programme of study (start of renewed curriculum from academic year 2024-2025). Within the learning line of design-based research, you will teach studio teaching in the bachelor's and master's programmes. This means that, depending on your background and specialisations, the design education can range from design methodology, fundamentals, dimensions and relations in Bachelor 1 to a thematic studio on adaptive reuse, sensorial interior, tailored interior, etc. in the Master. You are also responsible for the design studio for the preparatory programme 'Design' in function of the inflow of bachelor students (also international) in the design-oriented programmes.
- You actively strengthen the international network of the programme/faculty/university
- You help look for educational synergies between the various programmes within the Faculty of Design Sciences, the University of Antwerp and international programmes such as YUFE (Young Universities for the Future of Europe) and RMB (Reuse of Modernist Buildings).
- You will contribute to the development of activating, student-centred and competency-based course units and study programmes.
- You will supervise students and their Master theses.
- You have already built a career in academic research in the fields of adaptive reuse, design for identity, interior design and you want to continue this within our programme and faculty. You develop research synergies within this domain with the other faculty/university research groups and help build transdisciplinary research.
- You can demonstrate the initiation of new research lines and coordination of scientific research projects. You participate in ongoing research lines from a strong collegial attitude and willingness to cooperate.
- You can demonstrate that you can acquire and manage (inter)national research funding.
- Your track record is evidenced by publications in international journals and professional literature.
- You have developed an international scientific network and want to strengthen this further.
- You supervise PhD candidates and postdoctoral researchers.
Organisation and leadership
- You will play a role in the provision of both academic services and service to society, within the institution and externally. You will participate in student recruitment, boards and committees, popular science communication, and so on.
- You take on coordinating responsibilities in the areas of education, research and/or service, and you help to develop the policy of the interior architecture programme.
- Your leadership style will be motivating and coaching. You will be attentive to your employees’ growth and development processes.
What we offer
- You hold a PhD in the field of interior architecture, architecture or engineer architecture, or equivalent by performance.
- You can demonstrate several years of postdoctoral experience (or equivalent).
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies . You have established an excellent research portfolio.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision . You are motivated to develop your teaching skills further through the professionalisation opportunities available.
- If you do not speak Dutch, the administrative language of the university, you should be willing to obtain a CEFR B2 level of proficiency in Dutch. As soon as you take on teaching duties as a programme component coordinator, you should be able to demonstrate a CEFR C1 level of proficiency in the language of instruction. The University of Antwerp supports international staff members through an integration trajectory and offers tailor-made language coaching in compliance with Flanders’ statutory language regulations .
- You demonstrate leadership and organisational skills.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
Want to apply?
- We offer a full-time appointment as a member of the Senior Academic Staff (Dutch: Zelfstandig Academisch Personeel, ZAP). The level of your appointment (assistant professor, associate professor, professor or full professor) is determined on the basis of your professional experience and academic qualifications. Junior ZAP members are usually offered temporary appointment as a tenure track assistant professor for five years, which is then followed by permanent appointment as an associate professor. Appointment as an associate professor or higher leads to permanent appointment (tenure) after a maximum of three years. A favourable performance appraisal is always required for permanent appointment.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scales for Senior Academic Staff.
- You will receive ecocheques, internet-connectivity allowance and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- The planned start date is 15 September 2023 or as soon as possible after that date.
- You will do most of your work at Stadscampus Mutsaard, in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here and discover all the other benefits .
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including March 28, 2023(by midnight Brussels time). Click on 'apply', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following documents: (1) your motivation letter, (2) the completed job application appendix for ZAP , (3) your academic CV, (4) your research plan, (5) a concise 4-year PhD plan and (6) your vision on education.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to jobsuantwerpen.be . If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact programme leader Els De Vos ( els.devosuantwerpen.be ) or Bob Geldermans ( bob.geldermansuantwerpen.be ).
They are necessary for the proper functioning of the website and can not be switched off. They are generally defined only as a result of actions you carry out and that enable you to make use of the services we offer (definition of your privacy preferences, connection, filling in forms, etc.). You can configure your browser so that these cookies are blocked or you are warned about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will no longer work.
They allow us to measure surfing patterns and determine which sections of our website were visited, and to measure habits and improve our services. They show us which pages are the most and the least popular and how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies, we do not know when you visited our site and we can not check their habits.
They enable improved functionality and customization of the site. They can be activated by us or by third parties whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these cookies, some or all of the services may not work properly.
They can be set up by our advertising partners on our site to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant ads on other sites. They do not store personal information directly, but are based on the unique identification of your browser and device. If you do not allow these cookies, you will see less targeted ads.