Today the European Research Council (ERC) announced the names of the 222 European senior scientists winning an Avanced Grant. With these grants, the EU invests ¤540 million to boost cutting-edge research.
New ERC Advanced grants
- Wout Boerjan (Ghent University / VIB): Large-scale identification of secondary metabolites, metabolic pathways and their genes in the model tree poplar
- Dirk Inzé (Ghent University / VIB): A novel breeding strategy using multiplex genome editing in maize
- Yves Van de Peer (Ghent University / VIB): Replaying the ’genome duplication’ tape of life: the importance of polyploidy for adaptation in a changing environment
- Kodi Ravichandran (Ghent University / VIB): Unexpected connections between a phagocytic machinery and mammalian fertilization
Alain Goossens (Ghent University / VIB) en Peter Bienstman (Ghent University) are on the spare list
- More information about the Advanced Grants 2018: erc.europa.eu/news/erc-2018-advanced-grants-results
ERC grants are given to top researchers of any nationality, to implement a groundbreaking, high-risk/high-gain fundamental research project at any European institution, for the duration 5 years. ERC grants allow scientists to give their research a whole new direction Proposals are evaluated on excellence and the researchers are evaluated based on their track record of the last 10 years prior to their application.