On this page you will find vacancies for Academic Staff. Only vacancies in English are shown. For a complete list of all vacancies currently open at the university, please consult the vacancy pages in Dutch .
Didn’t find what you were looking for? Save your search and create a job alert on the online application module to be automatically notified of interesting future job openings.More information can be found here .
Department: Department of Literature Regime Part-time Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Literature in the Faculty of Arts has the following part-time (80%) vacancy: principal research fellow in the field of Modern German Literary Studies. Position
As a principal research fellow, you will be part of the Academic Assistant Staff (Dutch: Assisterend Academisch Personeel
, AAP). You will spend at least 50% of your working time on academic research. In addition, you will actively contribute to education and service activities. Research
- You will carry out high-quality academic research in Modern German Literary Studies.
- You have innovative ideas for a postdoctoral research project, ideally related to one or several research groups of the Department of Literature (for instance the Antwerp Centre for Digital Humanities and Literary Criticism or the Institute of Jewish Studies).
- You will report on the results of your research and produce academic publications.
- You will assist in ongoing research projects and the activities of the research group.
- You will contribute to attracting national and international research funding.
- You will provide support with teaching and also teach high-quality academic classes yourself. You will teach and assist in two undergraduate courses on literary analysis (prose, drama and poetry, German texts 1 and 2, 3 ECTS each); the undergraduate course A Cultural History of Germany (6 ECTS). In the master program, you teach a course in the field of Modern German Literature (6 ECTS) which is based on your research interests.
- You will contribute to the development of the study program of Modern German Literary Studies and work on the implementation of blended learning in this program.
- You will supervise students and their Bachelor and Master dissertations.
- Your teaching role can evolve along with the study programmes.
- You will play an active role in the academic and societal service provision of Modern German Literary Studies. You will also assist in student recruitment and alumni activities and you commit to the ‘Deutschcafé’.
What we offer
- You hold a PhD in Modern German Literary Studies or a similar discipline (or you will have obtained it by the time you start work).
- You have a good knowledge of the literary and cultural history of German-speaking cultures from the 18th century to today (with identifiable research interests in one or several period[s]).
- You are familiar with canonical literature in German, but also with alternative or counter-canonical literatures.
- You have a good knowledge of literary, cultural and media-analytical theories and methods and you know how to introduce and apply them in an accessible manner.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies .
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision . Relevant teaching experience in the field of Modern German Literary Studies for non-native speakers would be an advantage.
- You are able to carry out your work and achieve your objectives with a high degree of independence.
- You are motivated to work actively on your further professional development. In this, you can make use of a wide range of training courses and professionalisation opportunities .
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation. You are a team player who would enjoy working with the colleagues of Modern German Literary Studies and Linguistics at UAntwerpen. You are also willing to work within the specific context of research and education in the field of German Studies in Belgium.
Want to apply?
- We offer an appointment as a principal research fellow for a period of three years.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scale for a principal research fellow (Academic Assistant Staff, AAP). If you work part time, your salary is calculated proportionally on the basis of your employment percentage.
- The planned start date is 1 February 2022 or as soon as possible after that date.
- You will do most of your work at the city campus (Stadscampus) in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Click here to find out more about working at the University of Antwerp and the related benefits.
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 13 December 2021 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the 'Apply' button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a motivation letter, your academic CV, your application form for AAP and your three most important academic publications (including your PhD thesis).
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. Please make a note of the following date: Monday 10 January 2022 (interview).
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to jobsuantwerpen.be . If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact prof. dr. Thomas Ernst, Modern German Literary Studies, thomas.ernstuantwerpen.be .
Excellent HR policy for researchers